Rockstar confirms hack and says work on GTA VI is proceeding as planned

Rockstar Games has confirmed that the GTA VI gameplay footage leaked over the weekend is real. The studio wrote in a statement that it was recently the victim of a hack in which early images of the game were downloaded. The company continues to work on the GTA title.

“We were recently the victim of a network intrusion where a third party illegally accessed and downloaded confidential information from our systems,” Rockstar Games wrote on Twitter. This includes early images of the next Grand Theft Auto game, the studio confirms.

Rockstar says it is “very disappointed” that information about the next GTA game has come out in this way. Work on the next GTA game is continuing according to the current schedule, the studio continues. The company indicates that it will come up with updates ‘soon’ and will share more about the game in due course, as soon as it is ready. “We remain committed to delivering an experience that exceeds your expectations.” Rockstar previously confirmed that it is working on a new GTA game, but did not share further details about it.

The images of GTA VI appeared last weekend. A GTAForums user named teapotuberhacker posted a 3GB file containing over 50 minutes of gameplay of the title online. The images confirmed, among other things, that the game will have a playable female character, as previously expected. Rockstar also emphasizes on Monday that these are images from an early development phase.

Rockstar will not share further details about the hack, but says the company does not currently expect the network breach to affect its services and the development of future games. The alleged hacker stated this weekend that he wanted to put a test build of GTA VI and source codes of GTA V online. The forum user called on Rockstar to contact them to negotiate a deal. Rockstar does not mention that in its statement.