CometSearch is a browser hijacker. CometSearch browser hijacker modifies the browser’s new tab, browser search engine, and default homepage of the Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, or Edge.
CometSearch is usually recommended on the internet as a helpful new tab or homepage. However, in reality, CometSearch is a browser hijacker that collects all kinds of browsing data from your browser settings.
The web browsing data collected by the CometSearch adware is used for advertising purposes. The browsing data is sold to advertising networks. Because CometSearch gathers browsing data from your browser, CometSearch is also classified as (PUP) Potentially Unwanted Program.
Comet Search browser extension will install itself in the Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge browser. No major browser developer yet notices this browser hijacker as dangerous.
If your home page or new tab has changed to find.cometsearch.info and the CometSearch browser extension has been installed, remove the CometSearch extension as soon as possible using this CometSearch removal instruction.
Uninstall CometSearch extension from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the Google Chrome address bar and press ENTER on your keyboard.
- Find the “CometSearch” browser extension and click Remove.
Uninstall CometSearch extension from Firefox
- Open Firefox
- Type about:addons in the Firefox address bar and press ENTER on your keyboard.
- Find the “CometSearch” browser extension and click the three dots on the right of the CometSearch extension.
Select Remove from the menu to remove CometSearch from the Firefox browser.
Uninstall CometSearch add-on from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click the menu (wrench icon) in the top right.
- Open Manage Addons from the menu.
- Remove CometSearch from Extensions and Toolbars.
- On the left open Search Providers settings.
- Find CometSearch Search and Remove CometSearch Search.
Do you still have CometSearch in Internet Explorer?
- Open Windows Control Panel.
- Go to Uninstall a program.
- Click “installed on” column to sort the recently installed applications by date.
- Select CometSearch and click Uninstall.
- Follow CometSearch uninstall instructions.
Remove CometSearch adware with Malwarebytes
I recommend removing CometSearch adware with Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is a comprehensive adware removal tool and free to use.
CometSearch adware leaves traces such as malicious files, registry keys, scheduled tasks on your device, make sure to completely remove CometSearch with Malwarebytes.
- Install Malwarebytes, follow on-screen instructions.
- Click Scan to start a malware-scan.
- Wait for the Malwarebytes scan to finish.
- Once completed, review the CometSearch detections.
- Click Quarantine to continue.
- Reboot Windows after all the detections are moved to quarantine.
You have now successfully removed CometSearch malware from your device.