LinkDefault is a browser hijacker. LinkDefault browser hijacker that redirects the default search engine and homepage in the Google Chrome web browser. Find.linkdefault.com is set as default.
LinkDefault is usually recommended on the internet as a helpful new tab or homepage. However, in reality, LinkDefault is a browser hijacker that collects all kinds of browsing data from your browser settings.
The web browsing data collected by the LinkDefault adware is used for advertising purposes. The browsing data is sold to advertising networks. Because LinkDefault gathers browsing data from your browser, LinkDefault is also classified as (PUP) Potentially Unwanted Program.
LinkDefault browser extension will install itself in the Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge browser. No major browser developer yet notices this browser hijacker as dangerous.
If your home page or new tab has changed to find.linkdefault.com and the LinkDefault browser extension has been installed, remove the LinkDefault extension as soon as possible using this LinkDefault removal instruction.
Uninstall LinkDefault extension from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the Google Chrome address bar and press ENTER on your keyboard.
- Find the “LinkDefault” browser extension and click Remove. Is the extension managed? Remove with Malwarebytes, see below.
Uninstall LinkDefault extension from Firefox
- Open Firefox
- Type about:addons in the Firefox address bar and press ENTER on your keyboard.
- Find the “LinkDefault” browser extension and click the three dots on the right of the LinkDefault extension.
Select Remove from the menu to remove LinkDefault from the Firefox browser.
Uninstall LinkDefault add-on from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click the menu (wrench icon) in the top right.
- Open Manage Addons from the menu.
- Remove LinkDefault from Extensions and Toolbars.
- On the left open Search Providers settings.
- Find LinkDefault Search and Remove LinkDefault Search.
Do you still have LinkDefault in Internet Explorer?
- Open Windows Control Panel.
- Go to Uninstall a program.
- Click “installed on” column to sort the recently installed applications by date.
- Select LinkDefault and click Uninstall.
- Follow LinkDefault uninstall instructions.
Remove LinkDefault adware with Malwarebytes
I advise you to remove LinkDefault adware with Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is a comprehensive adware removal tool and free to use.
LinkDefault adware leaves traces such as malicious files, registry keys, scheduled tasks on your device, make sure to completely remove LinkDefault with Malwarebytes.
- Install Malwarebytes, follow on-screen instructions.
- Click Scan to start a malware-scan.
- Wait for the Malwarebytes scan to finish.
- Once completed, review the LinkDefault detections.
- Click Quarantine to continue.
- Reboot Windows after all the detections are moved to quarantine.
You have now successfully removed LinkDefault malware from your device.