Win32:Adware-gen belongs to the adware family and potentially unwanted programs. When your antivirus detects Win32:Adware-gen it is because your computer is at risk of an adware infection.
Adware such as Win32:Adware-gen will display intrusive advertisements in your browser, specifically the browsers Google Chrome, Firefox, and Microsoft Edge. Not only will Win32:Adware-gen show advertisement but it will also redirect the browser through dangerous advertising networks, leading to even more malware infections.
Win32:Adware-gen is commonly offered on the internet for free using thrid-party installation software known as bundlers or adware installers. When you download and install free software downloaded from the internet you are at risk the installation software also installs adware that is detected by your antivirus as Win32:Adware-gen.
After the Win32:Adware-gen is installed on the computer you are likely to notice advertisements in your browser, newly created and annoying pop-ups, and unknown redirects to suspicious webpages. Also, after infecting the browser the Win32:Adware-gen gathers browsing information from your browser, such as your browsing history, your visited webpages using cookies and possible saved passwords, and other login information.
The gathered information by Win32:Adware-gen is eventually sold to advertising networks for revenue.
Uninstall browser extension from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the Google Chrome address bar and press ENTER on your keyboard.
- Find any recently installed browser extension and click Remove.
Uninstall browser add-on from Firefox
- Open Firefox
- Type about:addons in the Firefox address bar and press ENTER on your keyboard.
- Find any recently installed browser add-on and click the three dots on the right of the browser add-on.
Select Remove from the menu to remove the add-on from the Firefox browser.
Remove Win32:Adware-gen with Malwarebytes
I recommend removing Win32:Adware-gen with Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is a comprehensive adware removal tool and free to use.
Win32:Adware-gen leaves traces such as malicious files, registry keys, scheduled tasks on your device, make sure to completely remove Win32:Adware-gen with Malwarebytes.
- Install Malwarebytes, follow on-screen instructions.
- Click Scan to start a malware-scan.
- Wait for the Malwarebytes scan to finish.
- Once completed, review the Win32:Adware-gen detection.
- Click Quarantine to continue.
- Reboot Windows after all the detections are moved to quarantine.
You have now successfully removed Win32:Adware-gen from your device.