OptimumSearch.net is a browser hijacker. OptimumSearch.net browser hijacker changes the homepage of Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Microsoft Edge – Chromium Edge.
OptimumSearch.net is regularly offered on the internet as a convenient homepage. However, in reality, this is a browser hijacker that collects all kinds of data from your browser.
The data collected by OptimumSearch.net is used for advertising purposes. The data is sold to advertising networks. Because OptimumSearch.net collects data from your browser, OptimumSearch.net is also classified as (PUP) Potentially Unwanted Program.
OptimumSearch browser extension will install itself in the Google Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer and Edge browser. No browser developer yet notices this browser hijacker as unwanted.
If your home page has changed to OptimumSearch.net and the OptimumSearch browser extension has been installed, remove the OptimumSearch extension as soon as possible using this OptimumSearch removal instruction.
Uninstall OptimumSearch extension from Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome
- Type chrome://extensions/ in the Google Chrome address bar and press ENTER on your keyboard.
- Find the “OptimumSearch” browser extension and click Remove.
Uninstall OptimumSearch extension from Firefox
- Open Firefox
- Type about:addons in the Firefox address bar and press ENTER on your keyboard.
- Find the “OptimumSearch” browser extension and click the three dots on the right of the OptimumSearch extension.
Select Remove from the menu to remove OptimumSearch from the Firefox browser.
Uninstall OptimumSearch add-on from Internet Explorer
- Open Internet Explorer
- Click the menu (wrench icon) in the top right.
- Open Manage Addons from the menu.
- Remove OptimumSearch from Extensions and Toolbars.
- On the left open Search Providers settings.
- Find OptimumSearch Search and Remove OptimumSearch Search.
Do you still have OptimumSearch in Internet Explorer?
- Open Windows Control Panel.
- Go to Uninstall a program.
- Click “installed on” column to sort the recently installed applications by date.
- Select OptimumSearch and click Uninstall.
- Follow OptimumSearch uninstall instructions.
Remove OptimumSearch.net with Malwarebytes
I recommend removing OptimumSearch.net with Malwarebytes. Malwarebytes is a comprehensive adware removal tool and free to use.
OptimumSearch.net adware leaves traces such as malicious files, registry keys, scheduled tasks on your device, make sure to completely remove OptimumSearch.net with Malwarebytes.
- Install Malwarebytes, follow on-screen instructions.
- Click Scan to start a malware-scan.
- Wait for the Malwarebytes scan to finish.
- Once completed, review the OptimumSearch.net detections.
- Click Quarantine to continue.
- Reboot Windows after all the detections are moved to quarantine.
You have now successfully removed OptimumSearch.net from your computer and web browser.
Remove malware with Sophos HitmanPRO
In this second malware removal step, we will start a second scan to make sure there are no malware remnants left on your computer. HitmanPRO is a cloud scanner that scans every active file for malicious activity on your computer and sends it to the Sophos cloud for detection. In the Sophos cloud both Bitdefender antivirus and Kaspersky antivirus scan the file for malicious activities.
When you have downloaded HitmanPRO install the HitmanPro 32-bit or HitmanPRO x64. Downloads are saved to the Downloads folder on your computer.
Open HitmanPRO to start installation and scan.
Accept the Sophos HitmanPRO license agreement to continue. Read the license agreement, check the box and click on Next.
Click the Next button to continue Sophos HitmanPRO installation. Make sure to create a copy of HitmanPRO for regular scans.
HitmanPRO begins with a scan, wait for the antivirus scan results.
When the scan is done, click Next and activate the free HitmanPRO license. Click on Activate Free license.
Enter your e-mail for a Sophos HitmanPRO free thirty days license. Click on Activate.
The free HitmanPRO license is successfully activated.
You’ll be presented with the malware removal results, click Next to continue.
Malicious software was partially removed from your computer. Restart your computer to complete removal.